Sunday, September 9, 2012

Charles Eubanks - Big Bad Wolf



Here once again is a page from my Three Little Brachiosaurs retelling of the Three little Pigs, which you may remember from the Year In Review topic.  The top sketch was from the quarter-size dummy I first created to work out my composition.  As you can see, I made quite a few staging changes in the final version.  I also decided to rotate the page, so the reader would rotate the entire book and see a tall, vertical two-page spread.  (The rest of the book is a horizontal layout.)  My thinking was that this would emphasize the villain's fury and dominance, yet also foreshadow his vulnerability.  It's the climax of the story, so I felt it was important to thoroughly set him up for his big fall.

4 comments:

Adam Heine said...

I love how much crazier he looks in the final version. Great job!

Adam Heine said...

I love how much crazier he looks in the final version. Great job!

Peter Hong said...

i remember this! i still love it! you are the king of dinos!

K. Marie Criddle said...

I remember this too! My first intro to the amazing art of Charles Eubanks. :D To be honest, I have always loved books that require a little manhandling (turning sideway, upside down) to get the full effect of the story so I love that you went out of the box (so to speak) and did a vertical spread. And I agree, he's good in the first but nice and crazy in the final.